Thursday, September 22, 2011

One of my favorite days.

The title Overlap came about when Grace McGill told me and a group of camp friends that her favorite times of the year were when all of our lives overlapped. When I started blogging I wanted to capture, to remember and record all the overlaps I had with people that I'm so thankful to know.

I think today would go down in the record books as one of the best overlapping days ever. It was just one of those days that make me thankful for the life I'm living right now.

During SLT Rachel said, "Miss Wright, can we go outside during FBC and play that one game on the tennis courts?" So of course that's exactly what we did. I had just been talking to a teacher earlier in the day about how I wish we had recess like the Elementary next door just so we could get fresh air and be in the sunshine. Today is the last official day of summer and I'm so glad we went out to play games. 

67 girls came today and I'm thrilled about the kids that keep showing up. They have positive attitudes and are excited to learn new things and go out of their way to meet new people and they even help clean up at the end. Today I had the student leaders introduce themselves and each say why they love FBC. It was neat to hear them share their reasons and to think about how this has been something so great for three years.

Madison came in her "would you be my friend if I wore this" outfit and I told all the FBC girls, "this is actually what I wear in the summer on a normal basis."


I went to watch the xc meet and was greeted by the girls team, so proud of their Old Spice scent because they share deodorant before races. Like contact work for teachers, it is sweet to be able to interact with all of these kids outside of the classroom. Just as the race was about to start I was attacked by Rachel and Courtney, two of my old students that are now freshmen. I ran around the course with them to cheer on the HSJH kids and got to catch up. I really miss seeing both of them on a regular basis and it was a great surprise to see them today.

When Erin and Kath pulled up for dinner Maddie and I ran across the parking lot to see them we were so excited. Dang, we just love reunions. 


Some of my favorite elements of camp- eating dinner together, laughing till you cry and you can't breath, being really strange, telling old stories and feeling so thankful to be with these people- all happened tonight.


Being with these girls makes me really excited for the winter CILT reunion. A whole 24 hours with these girls and about 70 more at Camp T- it's gonna be great. Thankfully great days like today can happen too.



We had more sports to watch so Maddie, Molls and I drove back to Fishers and picked up Madison. A quick stop in at the Fishers Orange Leaf, because Molls and Maddie hadn't experienced it yet, was necessary.


Then it was volleyball time. I don't know the last time I watched a volleyball game...
As soon as we walked in the gym I spotted Lizzy Dale, a Session 2 CILT, at the net. Then between points she spotted me and made a stereotypical Lizzy Dale face. I love that even in the midst of fierce competition she's still the same Lizzy that would wear a pumpkin costume during Gold Rush just for fun.


We really love sports. A lot.


Sometimes I think it's insane the amount of time my students and the High School kids I know put into sports, plays, clubs, Young Life, baby-sitting and work. They barely have time to breath let alone finish their homework before midnight each night. But seeing how much Lizzy loves her team or watching Kathleen play soccer or cheering Grace on in her race or leading Wyld Life with Hannah or talking to Molls about All For Children makes me see how passionate they are about where they're putting all that time.


Today was a great day. The kind of day when it just seems so easy to celebrate today and live out my favorite verse, "And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right here. 1 Corinthians 7:17"

No comments:

Post a Comment