Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wonder by RJ Palacio

I have a new book to add to my list of favorites. "Wonder" is a story of a 5th grade boy named Auggie who has an incredibly rare face. He says, "I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse." In this book you read from his perspective, and several other characters, about his first year in a private school.
 
I couldn't put the book down and quickly flew through Auggie's story in just a few days. Now I want everyone to read this story and am going to try to convince all of my students to get their own copy. This is one of those books that will change the way you see people and the way you see the world.
 

"I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives."

"What a marvelous line, isn't it? To be kinder than necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of kindness."

"Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right using of strength. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own."

No comments:

Post a Comment