Saturday, January 15, 2011

Caberfe, Caberfa

Bright and relatively early we hit the slopes of Caberfe. First of all let me just say that in my entire life I have skied maybe 6 times so it's kind of insane that the last time was only 3 weeks ago. 


Taylor and David are semi-professional boarders and taught Chris some beginning skills today. He is resilient and wouldn't give up.


We stuck together, waiting for each other at the bottom of the hill and the top of the lifts. It's crazy how we really didn't see many other people from our group on the mountain even though there were so many of us. Whenever everyone is so bundled up it's hard to recognize them under all of those layers.


The wind was only really strong up on the highest list and a couple inches of snow the night before made it not so icy. At the end of the day Taylor and I were telling her parents about our day- we skied all of the runs, yes even the black diamonds, but couldn't really tell that much of difference on the hardest ones. I can handle the steep sections but I'm not about to attempt navigating through trees or jumping off boxes.


It's such a gift to be able to just hang out with all of these friends all day long (and all weekend long). I usually see them a couple times a week but not like this. Today was great.


I found Waldo.

My friend Arielle and I have this thing about children who are forced to wear leashes, overwhelmingly present in places like Disney World they also show up on the ski slope.

When we came out from lunch we spotted this little girl crawling away up this little hill with no parents in sight. She had a leash on her back and we wanted to cheer her on, "Go! Go! Get away before they pull you back again," seeing as how I think no human should be on a leash.

Her dad soon showed up and what we thought was a leash was actually a handle secured to her back. He picked her up and her body went limp, giving up her fight of independence. He toted her like luggage over to their skies. So weird. I hope she escapes next time.


I think that I like, dare say really like skiing, now but at times I still think it's absurd. Yes, I would like to spend all day out in the frigid cold. Please strap two sticks to my feet and let my try to descend this dangerous mountain. Give me two more sticks to hold onto that could possibly impale me our my friends. Then release dozens of other crazy people down this steep terrain at the same time in the hopes that we won't crash into one another. That will be fun.


Back at the Bunkhouse after everyone changed into warm clothes we ate pizza together, played bananagrams and cards, and swapped stories. My favorite part was when we started playing the cup rhythm game in a circle with a group of girls. We got in sync and sped up as we went stacking the cups in a wave around the group. Our hands were raw from slamming down the cups and playing for so long.


At Club we met Hanski and Franski who taught us how to respect the mountain. I love the craziness of Club and especially the dynamic of all these families participating.


Tim Gardner is doing the talks this weekend and tonight he shared about how our lives can easily fall into one of two categories- business or boredom. He says people wear business like a badge of honor. We want everything to happen fast and conveniently. We find value in how much we're involved in and accomplishing. Or we go through life not being excited about everything and always waiting for the next thing. We see rest as a waste of time and put smart phones in-front of 5-year-olds to keep them entertained.

Instead we need to find a balance. God wants us to allow him into all parts of our life. If we're too busy or too bored we're going to miss him. This semester it's going to be so easy for me to be someone who is consumed by being busy. I get overwhelmed just by thinking about it but I so desperately don't want that to be how I see or live this year. I want to be intentional about being present where I am and making time and space for God to enter in. If I'm doing all this other stuff but God isn't a part of it then it's pointless.

When we finished Club we had to move back tables and chairs and set the tables for breakfast. It was this incredible picture of serving as 100 people worked together to accomplish this task. I love when people get involved and help instead of standing on the side and waiting for someone else to do it. At work crew this morning Will reminded us that there is a difference between work and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment