Sunday, January 23, 2011

We sang.

Tonight Young Life hosted a night of worship. Kids from all area schools, Young Life leaders, families, and committee members all gathered and filled up the youth room at First Baptist Church. The room has a semi-circle of big carpeted stairs that work like stadium seating. Most club rooms at Young Life camps are built like this and I love that you can see everyone at once, your attention is still on the front, and it's naturally more relaxed.

Jake Ousley played his guitar and we sang. Simple. We sang songs, leaders read Scripture, and we prayed. Something feels right in my soul when we just sing. It takes me back to singing in the Green Cathedral, in the circle at Mars Hill, standing between wooden pews in Dimnent, in the Brown's basement. When we sing together we are reminded of what we believe. I can connect with God in a real, tangible way.

I felt at home singing these familiar songs surrounded by friends and strangers. Jake had everyone stand and hold hands as we sang "Lay My Burdens Down" near the end. As soon as the song finished everyone dropped hands but one line of four girls and their leader kept holding hands till the end. I loved watching the unity and love between them.


O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.


Saviour, He can move the mountains,
My God is Mighty to save,
He is Mighty to save.
Forever, Author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.
Shine your light and let the whole world see,
We're singing for the glory of the risen King


In my heart, in my soul
I give you control
Consume me from the inside out
Let justice and praise
Become my embrace
To love you from the inside out
Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring you praise
From the inside out
Lord my soul cries out

No comments:

Post a Comment