Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hockey pucks, raw fish, and Maggie's laugh

Most girls I know play soccer or lacrosse or cross-country or swimming. But I know four girls who play hockey. They are the brave ones. Spending hours on the ice, these girls could skate circles around figure skaters. They slam into walls and their opponents. 

This morning I got to watch two of them play in a tournament downtown. I walked into the cold rink and before I even sat down on the bleachers Rachel spotted me and waved as she skated past. Emily saw Rach's wave, eyed me on the other side of the room and waved too. I got to sit with their parents in the stands as I watched their match.


Rachel is an 8th grader in the FBC and visits my room everyday after lunch. She is kind, persistent and loud. When she gets really hyper, particularly on Thursday afternoon between the hours of 3 and 4, her eyes get really wide, her voice raises an octave, she shakes and sitting still isn't an option. She is in love with hockey player Sydney Crosby and talks about him weekly. 

I've know Emily for years because her older sister Alex was my camper in 2007 and 2008. I finally had Emily as a camper in the Longhouse this past summer. I've always known she played hockey but hadn't had the opportunity to see her play. She is really good. That girl out skated everyone on the rink this morning. I don't really know any hockey lingo but... she was great.

I scooted out of the hockey game to get to church. I got there right as it was starting, which is normal, but there were no seats in the sanctuary. My friends Rach, Coll, Sar, Kelsey & Maddie, and the Houghton fam all got there at the same time too and we had to go sit in the basement to watch the service on TVs down there. The basement was even packed and there were barely any seats left. 

Lately I've been in a lot of conversations where I feel like I don't have the words to say. Life is hard. People are going through pain. Loneliness, hurt, brokenness, emptiness, and hopelessness seem to be all around. It breaks my heart. I love these friends so much and somedays, a lot of days, I just don't know how to help. 

The first song we sang today connected to all of that right away. This is what we, what I, need:

Broken I run to you for your arms are open wide
I am weary but I know your touch restores my life
So I wait for you
I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus you're all this heart is living for

And Jeff prayed, "All of us at some level, at some degree of desperation came here because we need you. You are here. You know our stories. Our hearts. You know what needs to be given and what needs to be taken away. To those that need hope, give it abundantly. To those that need faith, revive it."

And I know that God is here with us wherever we are, not just sitting in church on Sunday. But wherever I am and wherever you are, God knows you and he knows your heart and he loves you. And so somedays I don't what to say or what to do and that's fine. Because God knows us fully everyday and knows and understands what we need.

Sar and I jetted back to Carmel to meet up with Wyld Life leaders to film a "I would do anything to get you to go to Wyld Life camp" video to show at clubs this semester.

This fish was swallowed not once, but twice today.


He spring-boarded himself out of Alex's throat in an escape effort only to land on the floor and be put back in the cup. Poor, brave, little fish. The second time he didn't have a chance.

Clay kissed this fish.

Then Jenna got hit in the face with it. Quinn got a swirly and ate a flaming marshmallow. Hank ripped hair off of his leg with duct tape. This is dedication.

Low of the day: I had to go do homework next. I also have developed a bit of a cold so I can't really breathe and my nose has been whistling for four straight days. It's annoying.

Tonight I got to eat pizza with YL friends, talk with Beef about the greatness of camp, and Skype with Maggie about hair, friends, blogs, plans, camp, school, parents and the rest of life. Great ending to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment