Friday, January 27, 2017

"I'm always alarmed by how close Missouri is. I went there once-- I could never eat Pringles again after that trip."

After exclaiming, "I LOVE Junior High. It's the best!" multiple times this morning my co-teacher disappeared. She came back about 10 minutes later with this sign to tape to my classroom door. God bless the 13-year-olds. 


During SOAR at the end of the day Addy came up to my desk, "Miss Wright, my mom dropped off something at the office for me, can I go get it?" She reappeared a few minutes later with a case of Diet Coke and a puppy card. "My mom and I are doing random acts of kindness and I picked you Miss Wright!" I love Junior High. It's the best.


I flew through The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon in the last two days. With everything that's happening in America and the world right now with refugees and immigrants, this book couldn't be more timely. The acknowledgements at the end of the novel begin, "Immigrating to a new country is an act of hope, bravery, and, sometimes, desperation. I'd like to say a big thank-you to all the people who've made long journeys to distant shores for whatever reason. May you find what you're looking for. Always know that the country of your destination is better for having you in it." The most controversial topics are seen with humanity only when we can connect them with real people and their stories. Now more than ever, this book is so important to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment