Friday, January 15, 2016

"I'd use a secret code like, 'I'm getting the chili.'"


My friend Katie Timmons is a rock star. We became friends last year and I loved getting to talk with her at Campaigners or show up at her track meets. She's now a freshmen at Bama and doing such a good job of finding her niche and living an authentic life. Katie started writing a blog this week and I love it, this post Why I Want To Be A Thomas Train in particular. Take a minute and check it out. 


One of the most brilliant people I (kind of) know is Glennon Doyle Melton. She's a writer, speaker, philanthropist, truth teller who inspires me on a regular basis. You need to watch this video The Best Part Of Life that she recently helped make. The video is also featured on her blog Momastery.

If there's something that Julia Dewolf loves even more than YL, Patagonia and Tumblr, it's birthdays. In all the years I've known her, Hools has been the queen of birthdays. Of course she loves her own birthday (and keeps count of how many more sleeps until that magical day) but she is the greatest at celebrating other people's birthdays and making them feel special. I came up with a caper to celebrate Hool's 17th. 

Luckily, we overlap in almost every part of our lives so I was able to contact everyone she knows and ask them to send me back a list/note/message telling her why she's so awesome and loved. I printed them all out, Janelle hung them up in her room while she was at school and then Kegs and Genna kept her busy till I got back from all of my teacher meetings. The look on her face was priceless when she walked in to find love bombs taped to every door frame, window, desk, bed and dresser in her room. Julia is one very, very loved girl. 


It's a very birthday weekend because tonight I went to celebrate Ava Baby's (aka Ava Peterson) Sweet 16. She had her party at this really cool barn in Noblesville called Mustard Seed Gardens which is usually used as a wedding venue. I've known Ava basically forever, got to be her Brave counselor in Choctaw and we'll be together in CILTs this summer. I loved the table with Jenga blocks to write memories and the jar for her "Future Adventure" fund. 


The party was full of her family and HS friends but also a small band of Tecumseh people. I was thrilled to be reunited with Lilly Fair, to finally see Ava's sister Emily, to hang with Emily Harlow and Emily Sell and to meet Anna and Kateri. 



It was a great night of loving Ava Baby, chicken wings, dancing, talking in circles with friends, friendship bracelets, Tecumseh and YL love, and tons of hugs.


Honorable Mention Blog Title:
"I took an ice bath and I was crying. I'm surprised my tears didn't freeze."

No comments:

Post a Comment